Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Work in Progress Wednesday v.112

*Glub*  That, my friends, is the sound of me coming up for air.  I really thought I'd have so much more time to blog and knit and do fun things when I wasn't working a full time job and commuting back and forth from the big city.  Not so much, I'm afraid.

Mr. Right was away for a week again, and I was running around like a crazy person getting his house ready to go on the market (So we can actually live together!  A month after we got married!). Once that was done, we decided to take an impromptu camping trip to the mountains to see the fall colors, Colorado style.  We haven't done that before, and well... wow.  Behold:


and



and



See?



Really, we had a blast and got to explore part of the state we hadn't seen much of before.  Sorry blog, it was totally worth being away for a week.

Speaking of sorry...  I'm *still* knitting that little lace scarf.  This is how much yarn I have left (it's about the size of a quarter):



(Apologies for the crap pics, it's late on Tuesday night and the light just isn't.)

Don't be fooled, the stupid ball of yarn has been this size for a week and refuses to shrink.  It's like an everlasting gobstopper or something.

This is the scarf as it stands:



I borrowed a set of blocking wires from a knit night buddy and hopefully I'll get it off the needles and onto the pins and wires tomorrow.  There's a teensy chance of an FO Friday appearance this week, but don't get your hopes up too high.

In other news, I finally caved in to the urge and started swatching for Idlewood.  My swatch:



Yeah, it didn't go too well.  I got 2 or so inches into the swatch and realized that the fabric on the suggested needles looked like honeycomb.  Boo.  Going down a needle size will throw my gauge off, and so I find myself in the market for a fun-but-simple (style, not necessarily construction) sweater pattern that I can knit in a size 38 with 1100 or so yards of this pretty brown Cascade 220.  I'm open to suggestions, so take your best shot in the comments. 

S'all I got for today.  For newer and more exciting projects, check out all the other WIP Wednesday entries over at Tami's.  See you there!

8 comments:

  1. Febrary Lady sweater might work---can't remember yardage, but it's a nice cardi in worsted....Annabel??? That might be aran wt, but it still might work! Good luck! Really like the color of the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found 51 pages that might fit into that category....including the February Lady Sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those camp pictures are breath taking. Maybe 5$ in Paris? for your sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I recall, I had a similar problem with Idlewood. I ended up using smaller needles and knitting a larger size to compensate. (That doesn't always work, but I did some calculations beforehand and it worked out for me). The other thing is, Idlewood is entirely stockinette, so if you're up for modifications, it shouldn't be too much work to come up with better stitch-counts for your gauge.

    It can be done! But there are plenty of other lovely sweaters that would look fabulous in that yarn, so good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lace scarves take forever but they're so worth it when done! Consider me extremely jealous of your camping trip, those photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I totally understand that everlasting gobstopper ball of lace yarn!! I have one that is the same way! I've found that keeping a tally of rows or row repeats helps me feel like I'm making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. try the Every Last Yard Cardigan. I feel like such a slacker, my poor blog has been neglected for so long now that I am ashamed at the thought of going back.

    ReplyDelete