Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Work In Progress Wednesday v.12

This week's installment of WIPW (at least 'round these parts) shall be entitled "The Suck:  My Massive Misadventures in Knitting".  Allow me to illustrate...

See this pretty blue stripe?  This is not my burning desire to put my own personal stamp on Mr. Right's Avast.  This is me running out of yarn 7 rows from the end of the sweater. Seven.  Seriously. 



And this is how much yarn I have left for seaming...



Okay, really that's not as bad as it looks because all the seaming that needs to be done is on the sleeves, and they both have pretty long tails attached.

And now for the Big Kahuna.  The Grand Poobah of "Oh Crap"...



No.  My boyfriend did not decide to become a ballerina.  And no, I did not knit a peplum onto his sweater on purpose.  Instead, I picked up too many stitches.  Way too many stitches from the looks of it.  Sigh.  This is my first stitch-picking-up project and the direction "pick up 5 of every 6 stitches" is a little bit lost on me.  Tell me how many I should have when I'm done and I'll get there.  But this way, it's all a big guess.  And boy, did I ever guess wrong. 


I'm about to rip the whole thing out, but my knitting group suggested tacking a piece of elastic into the band first.  I'll give it a shot, but I think we'll be doing some unknitting in the next day or so.  And can we just take a moment to acknowledge Mr. Right and his good-sportedness for modeling this goofy thing?  He's a keeper, that one.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much frogging, and I'm sure I'll have a much better attitude about the whole thing tomorrow.  Right now, though, I'm going to go find some chocolate.

8 comments:

  1. And you deserve some chocolate!!! I have faith in you. You will fix it and Mr. Right will LOVE it and wear it all the time. Try and not get too discouraged. Think how great it will feel once you finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, you deserve much chocolate. I hope you can fix it without much rippage.

    My very first adult size sweater, could fit two of the intended victim. His brother was twice his size so took it home with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!

    I hope you don't rip out the whole thing! Just the part that needs fixing, right? The rest of the sweater looks great!

    I recently ran out of yarn 10 rows from the end of a project as well - boo! So close, yet so far....

    What would we do without chocolate? I remember there was a time in my life where I didn't 'get' chocolate. I even remember thinking 'if I lived the rest of my life and never had another piece of chocolate, I'd be ok with that'. Don't get me wrong, I liked chocolate - I just didn't 'get' it. I think I must have been crazy back then because now, I realize the power of chocolate. I hope it helped make you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! I had a skinny cow ice cream sandwich and things are looking up. :) SweetPotato - Not the whole thing! It's tough to see in the picture, but the part that's wonky is the little section that flares out underneath the cable band. That's the only part that's going. It's 15 rows. Not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah, chocolate, as far as I'm concerned we should all eat some each and every day!
    So if you redo that section, picking up fewer stitches next time, does that mean you will have more yarn leftover for seaming the sleeves?
    The sweater is going to be great when it is all done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so easily done. Think positive, it's no where as much ripping as I needed to do when I picked up too many stitches. 6 inches of broken rib button band on a really long cardigan! I finally solved my problem by measuring out 4" blocks and marking with stitch markers. Then working out how many stitches needed to go between the markers and counting them off. It worked much better than "that looks about right". Good luck with your amendments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can do it! If I can surgically alter a felted jacket twice, you CAN do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It'll all come out right in the end... You'll be okay, and think of this as a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete